Everyone knows basketball. But do you know the most important rules and terms related to the NBA? SPORT BILD offers the NBA crash course.
The NBA (National Basketball Association) has been the American professional basketball league for over 70 years. In 1949, the NBA emerged from the BAA (Basketball Association of America), which had already been founded in 1946. By 1953, the league consisted of 17 teams. The most dominant and successful team of the early 1950s was the Minneapolis Lakers. For the 1953/1954 season, the NBA was expanded to 25 teams. Among the new franchises were the Boston Celtics and the New York Knicks.
In 1976, the NBA took over the rival minor league ABA (American Basketball Association). This merger created four more NBA franchises (Denver Nuggets, Indiana Pacers, San Antonio Spurs and New York Nets).
As of 2004, the NBA consists of 30 teams (29 from the US and one from Canada)!
NBA rules and terms
Since 1891, NBA baskets have been suspended at a height of exactly 3,048 meters.
A field, two baskets and a ball are all you need for basketball. Here you will find the most important rules and terms:
- The game is played on a field 94 feet (approximately 29 m) long (29 meters) and 50 feet (approximately 15 m) wide.
- Two teams of five players compete against each other.
- In addition to the five starters, each team has seven substitutes.
- Player positions are centre, guard and striker.
- Points are scored by throwing the ball into the opponent’s basket.
- The team that scored the most points wins!
- A close hit of the basket scores two points.
- A hit thrown behind the so-called 3-point line is worth three points.
- The team earns one point for a free throw.
- Free throws result from fouls by the opponent.
There are four different types of fouls in the NBA:
- The most common is a personal foul (unauthorized contact by an offensive or defensive player).
- Technical foul (technical error or inappropriate behavior).
- Unsportsmanlike foul (unnecessarily hard contact).
- Disqualifying foul (aggressions or insults).
A player is disqualified from NBA play after committing six common fouls, two unsportsmanlike or technical fouls, or one disqualifying foul.
Other NBA Rules:
- A game is played in four quarters of 12 minutes each.
- A team attack cannot last longer than 24 seconds.
- This 24-second clock is also called a “shooting clock”.
- The ball can only be played in its own court for eight seconds.
- The ball is out of bounds when the ball itself or the player in possession of the ball touches the ground outside the field of play.
- If a player steps on the line at the edge of the field, he is out!
- A player can dribble the basketball to move around the field. When he stops dribbling, he only has two more touches to the ground before throwing or passing the ball.
- Under no circumstances may the ball be played with the leg, foot or knee. This lack is called footplay.
- The coach of an NBA team has a so-called “Coach Challenge” in every game. If he requires, a previous decision by the referee is verified through video evidence.
- Timeouts are also available for each team.
- Both teams have a time-out of 20 seconds per time and seven time-outs (1 min 15 seconds) per game.
NBA teams are divided into two disciplines (Eastern Conference and Western Conference). Both conferences are in turn divided into three divisions.
The three divisions of the Eastern Conference are Atlantic, Central, and Southeast:
|Boston Celts||Boston, Massa|
|Brooklyn Nets||New York, New York|
|New York Knicks||New York, New York|
|Philadelphia 76ers||Philadelphia, Pennsylvania|
|Toronto Raptors||Toronto Canada|
|Chicago buffalo||Chicago, Illinois|
|Cleveland Cavaliers||Cleveland, Ohio|
|Detroit Pistons||Detroit, Michigan|
|Indiana Pacers||Indianapolis, Indiana|
|Milwaukee Bucks||Milwaukee, Wisconsin|
|Atlanta Hawks||Atlanta, Georgia|
|Charlotte Hornets||Charlotte, North Carolina|
|Miami heat||Miami, Florida|
|Orlando Magic||Orlando, Florida|
|Washington Wizards||Washington DC|
The three divisions of the Western Conference are Northwest, Pacific and Southwest:
|Denver Nuggets||denver, colorado|
|Minnesota Timberwolves||Minnesota, Minneapolis|
|Oklahoma City Thunder||Oklahoma City, Oklahoma|
|Portland Trail Blazers||Portland, Oregon|
|Utah Jazz||Salt Lake City, Utah|
|Warriors of the Golden State||San Francisco, California|
|LA Clippers||Los Angeles, California|
|LA Lakers||Los Angeles, California|
|Phoenix Suns||Phoenix, Arizona|
|Sacramento Kings||Sacramento, California|
|Dallas Mavericks||Dallas, Texas|
|Houston Rockets||houston, texas|
|Memphis Grizzlies||Memphis, Tennessee|
|New Orleans Pelicans||New Orleans, Louisiana|
|incentive of san antonio||San Antonio, Texas|